Laughter is the best medicine for the soul, but prevention is the best medicine for your smile. It’s possible to prevent serious oral health complications with just a few minutes of dental care a day. Use these tips from our dentist in Oklahoma City, OK to stop dangerous dental problems before they start!
Cavities are holes in the hard enamel surface of your teeth. They develop when plaque, acid, and bacteria eat away at your enamel until it gives way to the invaders. Cavities, also known as dental caries, are one of the most common health problems across the globe.
Unfortunately, dental decay affects children, teenagers, and adults alike. Untreated cavities threaten the overall health of your mouth. Over time, widespread decay can cause chronic pain, infection, tooth loss, and gum disease.
Fortunately, these preventive techniques make it easy to keep your smile cavity-free:
- Brush with fluoride toothpaste
- Rinse your mouth with water after eating and drinking
- Visit your OKC dentist every six months
- If applicable, get dental sealants to seal off the nooks and crannies of your teeth
- Swap soda and juice with water
- Avoid snacking on sticky candy, since that allows sugar and bacteria to sit on your teeth
It’s normal to wake up with bad breath, but chronic bad breath all day, every day is a major oral health issue. This condition is known as halitosis, and it usually develops when bacteria overwhelm your mouth.
It’s possible to help prevent bad breath with a few simple at-home strategies:
- Brush and floss daily to remove food particles and bacteria
- Eat and drink foods that encourage saliva production (i.e. crunchy apples and almonds)
- Treat mouth infections promptly
- Ask your doctor if your medications may contribute to dry mouth, a leading cause of bad breath
Tooth loss is a common complication of gum disease and poor oral health, but it doesn’t have to happen to you! In most cases, tooth loss occurs when unhealthy gums no longer have the strength to support tooth roots. This develops over time, so you have ample opportunity to stop tooth loss before it starts. If you do lose your teeth, the best tooth loss replacement is a dental implant.
Visit your dentist regularly, brush and floss twice a day, and avoid high-sugar foods and drinks. If you can follow those three tips, you’ll set a strong foundation for a lasting healthy smile.
Our team is here to help patients across prevent dental problems and protect healthy smiles. Contact us to learn more and schedule your first appointment.