Porcelain Veneers Process & Why To Get Them [infographic]
What are dental veneers?
Dental (or) porcelain veneers are a popular form of cosmetic smile enhancement. Veneers are comprised of a thin layer of porcelain that is bonded to your existing tooth. The porcelain is used because it shares a translucent quality that matches natural teeth. Each veneer is made to look like a real tooth and can be used to enhance your smile.
The process starts with an initial consultation or visit to your local OKC dentist. At your consultation, you’ll discuss what you would like to achieve with your new porcelain veneers. The dentist will then examine your teeth and gums to determine if you’re a good candidate for veneers. The dentist will want to make sure that your teeth are properly aligned for veneers and take X-Rays, as well as make sure that no cavities or gum disease are present. It is during this visit that the dentist will go over pricing and options for your veneer procedure. Placing the veneers generally takes 2 appointments, but can sometimes take more depending on a few variables.
What are porcelain veneers used for?
Veneers can be used to correct many cosmetic blemishes. Patients may have different goals or cosmetic features they want to fix when considering porcelain veneers. Cosmetic blemishes that can be corrected with veneers include:
- To cover deep stains or tooth discoloration
- To repair a chipped or damaged tooth
- To close gaps between teeth
- To straighten slightly misaligned teeth
- Other dental issues that result in a loss of self-confidence
What is the porcelain veneer process?
After you’ve determined what cosmetic blemishes you would like to correct with your veneers, the dentist may start by taking off a thin layer of tooth enamel. The thin layer of enamel removal is generally about the size of the veneer itself. This will ensure the veneers sit flush once they are placed.
Once the tooth has been prepped for placement, the dentist will then take impressions of the tooth (or teeth). The impressions will be sent to the lab for processing. Labs generally take between 2-4 weeks to manufacture your personalized veneers. But don’t worry, your dentist will fit your teeth with temporary caps or crowns until your veneers are ready.
When your veneers are ready, it will be time for your second and (most likely) final visit. The dentist will check to make sure your veneers are made to perfection, both aesthetically and for fit. Some adjustments can also be made during the final visit to ensure satisfaction!
What are the pros & cons of dental veneers?
Everyone wants a brighter and whiter smile, as a beautiful smile is associated with beauty and health. However, some people don’t always stop to think about what oral procedures are the best for them. When considering dental veneers be sure to weigh the pros and cons to make sure the decision is right for you.
Pros of dental veneers include:
- Increased confidence with a beautiful, brighter smile
- Permanent and long lasting (typically 7-15 years)
- Can cover up a variety of cosmetic blemishes
- Can be made to any shade of tooth
- Stain resistant – eat and drink without worry of discoloration
- No special maintenance is required
- Act and feel like your natural tooth
Cons of dental veneers:
- Are permanent & may require about 1 millimeter of enamel removal
- More expensive than crowns
- Veneers don’t stain, so adjacent teeth could become off-colored if not properly taken care of
- Not recommended for nail biters, or heavy grinders